Best 10 cyberpunk movie from 1979 ~ 1999

These cyberpunk movies were all released from 1979 to 1999 and have the highest imdb scores.

No.10

Name Pi
year 1998
country United States
language English
imdb score 7.4

God and man and math: The tawdry meets the Talmudic in this complex thriller about a tortured computer genius trying to beat the stock market.

No.9

Name RoboCop
year 1997
country United States
language English
imdb score 7.5

In near-future Detroit, a murdered police officer is resurrected as an experimental crime-fighting cyborg named Robocop. Tormented by memories of his past, he soon deviates from his law enforcement program to seek revenge on his killers. This highly successful sci-fi action film balances ultraviolence with black comedy and cutting satire.

No.8

Name Total Recall
year 1990
country United States
language English
imdb score 7.5

In Paul Verhoeven’s wild sci-fi action movie Total Recall, Arnold Schwarzenegger plays a 21st-century construction worker who discovers that his entire memory of the past derives from a memory chip implanted in his brain. Schwarzenegger learns that he’s actually a secret agent who had become a threat to the government, so those in power planted the chip and invented a domestic lifestyle for him. Once he has realized his true identity, he travels to Mars to piece together the rest of his identity, as well as to find the man responsible for his implanted memory. Verhoeven has created a fast, furious action film with Total Recall, filled with impressive stunts and (literally) eye-popping visuals. Though the film bears only a passing resemblance to the Philip K. Dick short story it was based on (“We Can Remember It For You Wholesale”), the movie is an entertaining, if very violent, ride.

No.7

Name Dark City
year 1998
country United States, Australia
language English
imdb score 7.6

From the director of “The Crow,” an atmospheric melange of styles and substance about aliens, night and unspeakable acts. Interesting, but more than a bit addled.

No.6

Name The Fifth Element
year 1997
country France
language English
imdb score 7.7

Primarily set in the 23rd century, the film’s central plot involves the survival of planet Earth, which becomes the responsibility of Korben Dallas (Willis), a taxicab driver and former special forces major, after a young woman (Jovovich) falls into his cab. To accomplish this, Dallas joins forces with her to recover four mystical stones essential for the defence of Earth against the impending attack of a malevolent cosmic entity.

No.5

Name The Terminator
year 1984
country United States
language English
imdb score 8.0

A Cyborg has been sent from the future on a deadly mission, it has been programmed to kill a young woman named Sarah Connor. Sarah has no idea that her life will have a staggering effect on the fate of mankind and that she is in danger of being killed at the hands of an inescapable machine known as the Terminator. Kyle Reese has also been sent from the future, but his mission is to protect the unknowing mother of a future leader. Is there any way to stop the death of an innocent when the relentless Cyborg is set on his course…

No.4

Name Blade Runner
year 1982
country United States, Hong Kong
language English
imdb score 8.1

A blend of science fiction and noir detective fiction, Blade Runner (1982) was a box office and critical bust upon its initial exhibition, but its unique postmodern production design became hugely influential within the sci-fi genre, and the film gained a significant cult following that increased its stature. Harrison Ford stars as Rick Deckard, a retired cop in Los Angeles circa 2019. L.A. has become a pan-cultural dystopia of corporate advertising, pollution and flying automobiles, as well as replicants, human-like androids with short life spans built by the Tyrell Corporation for use in dangerous off-world colonization. Deckard’s former job in the police department was as a talented blade runner, a euphemism for detectives that hunt down and assassinate rogue replicants. Called before his one-time superior (M. Emmett Walsh), Deckard is forced back into active duty. A quartet of replicants led by Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) has escaped and headed to Earth, killing several humans in the process. After meeting with the eccentric Eldon Tyrell (Joe Turkel), creator of the replicants, Deckard finds and eliminates Zhora (Joanna Cassidy), one of his targets. Attacked by another replicant, Leon (Brion James), Deckard is about to be killed when he’s saved by Rachael (Sean Young), Tyrell’s assistant and a replicant who’s unaware of her true nature. In the meantime, Batty and his replicant pleasure model lover, Pris (Darryl Hannah) use a dying inventor, J.F. Sebastian (William Sanderson) to get close to Tyrell and murder him. Deckard tracks the pair to Sebastian’s, where a bloody and violent final confrontation between Deckard and Batty takes place on a skyscraper rooftop high above the city. In 1992, Ridley Scott released a popular director’s cut that removed Deckard’s narration, added a dream sequence, and excised a happy ending imposed by the results of test screenings; these legendary behind-the-scenes battles were chronicled in a 1996 tome, Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner by Paul M. Sammon.

No.3

Name Alien
year 1979
country United Kingdom, United States
language English
imdb score 8.4

After a space merchant vessel receives an unknown transmission as a distress call, one of the crew is attacked by a mysterious life form and they soon realize that its life cycle has merely begun.

No.2

Name Terminator 2: Judgment Day
year 1991
country United States
language English
imdb score 8.5

A sequel to the sci-fi action thriller that made him and star Arnold Schwarzenegger A-list Hollywood names, writer/director James Cameron upped the ante with this follow-up by employing a more sweeping storyline and cutting-edge special effects. Linda Hamilton returns as Sarah Connor, now a single mother to rebellious teen John Connor (Edward Furlong), during the late nineties. Having been informed by a time-traveling soldier in the first film that John will one day grow up to become humanity’s savior from a computer-controlled Armageddon, Sarah has responded by becoming a muscle-bound she-warrior bent on educating John in survival tactics and battle strategies. Her ranting about humankind’s future has landed Sarah in an insane asylum and John in the foster care system. The rebellious John has responded to his situation by getting into scrapes with the law. When a new and improved Terminator android called the T-1000 (Robert Patrick) arrives from the future to eliminate John, an older model T-800 (Schwarzenegger) is sent to protect the boy. The T-1000, however, has the ability to morph itself into any shape it desires, allowing it chameleon-like powers and near indestructibility. The T-800 saves John’s life and helps break Sarah out of the institution. Staying only one step ahead of the dogged T-1000, Sarah leads her son and the T-800 to the headquarters of Cyberdyne Systems, the company that will invent a robotic intelligence that will eventually take over the world. There, they attempt to convince inventor Miles Dyson (Joe Morton) to help them stop the future from ever occurring by destroying his work. Dyson sacrifices himself in an explosion to save the world, leading to a final showdown between the two Terminators at a steel foundry. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991), which won four Oscars in technical categories for its groundbreaking effects, was followed by a short sequel filmed exclusively as an attraction for theme parks, Terminator 2: 3-D Battle Across Time (1996).

No.1

Name The Matrix
year 1999
country United States, Australia
language English
imdb score 8.7

It depicts a dystopian future in which humanity is unknowingly trapped inside a simulated reality, the Matrix, created by intelligent machines to distract humans while using their bodies as an energy source. When computer programmer Thomas Anderson, under the hacker alias “Neo”, uncovers the truth, he “is drawn into a rebellion against the machines” along with other people who have been freed from the Matrix.

16 Likes

These are all classic ID

Great one, thx for all the info

Great moives with the legendary id

They are all some sort of novel to movie rt?

nice chart :slight_smile:

No not all. Alien, Terminator, Matrix were not books, though the Matrix was inspired heavily by Neuromancer. 5th Element was an original screenplay by Besson, though it borrowed heavily from French comics (two authors of which were producers). Robocop was inspired by the Judge Dredd character from comics, but was not itself a book before the movie. Pi was also not based on a book, though the comic Sin City was the inspiration for its look.

I don’t know about Dark City. Of these 10 films, two were based on PKD stories and IDK about Dark City so that’s 3 tops. Most were original though all films have inspirations.

Thanks for sharing, I have never seen these cyberpunk films before and I think the first one PI is really attractive.

1 Like

Thanks for the interesting sharing. I also never watch these films. But today, I gonna put them into my to-do list.

1 Like

Thanks for you sharing from the bottom of my heart!!! This is what I am looking for for a long period of time!!! I will save this link!

1 Like

God I love The Matrix. My teen dream was to become an hacker like Neo. But it seems that I don’t meet the IQ requirement.

1 Like

Wow, I see Matrix, that’s my favourite forever! When I first watch this, I got the desire to be a hacker as well.

1 Like

You are so cool!!! It is amazing that you find so many films for us. I will watch them one by one in my leisure time!

1 Like

I have to say that the first movie cover is a little bit scary for me with the man’s eye. Still thank you for sharing these movies, which give me chances to know more about the ideas of cyberpunk. Hoping that I can share some ideas with you after watching those movies!

1 Like

There is no doubt that the Matrix is my favorite hacker movie ever. I have never seen a hacker movie before the Matrix. Gotta say that it is the most classic one!

I only watched some of the movies in the list. I will watch the rest of the movies.

Thank you for your sharing with this post to recommend these movies. Among these, my favorite and most impressive is the movie ‘The Fifth Element’.

Me too! I like the movie called ‘The Fifth Element’ most too~It is a movie I have watched for the first time to be involved in the cyberpunk wolrd.